Delivering the best possible care and treatment for patients who have served in the Armed forces. We are proud to have become an Armed Forces Veteran Friendly practice. If you have served in the Armed Forces, if even for one day, there are additional NHS services available to you.
As a Veteran Friendly GP Practice, we:
- Have a clinical lead for veteran health.
- Ask patients ‘Have you served?’ to identify veteran patients.
- Support veteran patients to access dedicated health services.
- Undertake specialist training to meet the health commitments of the Armed Forces Covenant.
We are aware that sometimes veterans find it difficult to access services on the NHS, but as veteran friendly practice we understand some of the specific health needs veterans have. So, if you are a veteran and there is something you would like to talk about with a GP, please come and see us.
For some NHS services veterans have priority access on the NHS. We can help you accessing these services.
Let a member of staff know if you, or you spouse/partner have ever served in the UK armed forces so that we can best support your care needs.
The Veteran Friendly Practices accreditation scheme is run by the Royal college of General Practitioners in partnership with NHS England and NHS Improvement.
You can find out further information and support by visiting the: Veterans’ healthcare toolkit: Veteran friendly GP practice accreditation (rcgp.org.uk)..
There are charities and organisations that provide support to veterans and their families, some of these are:
- Royal British Legion: This is a national charity with different branches all over the country. The Morley Branch offers a range of support including a peer/social support group for veterans and their families.
Welcome to the Morley Branch of The Royal British Legion – Morley Branch –
- SSAFA (Soldiers’, Sailors’ & Airmen’s Families Association) West Yorkshire: Offer caseworkers to veterans who can provide experienced, non-judgmental, and friendly advice, as well as practical services which cover a wide range of social, family, and financial issues. The charity also holds a ‘Veterans lunch’ group on the first Sunday of every month at 12:30 for social/peer support at Morley Labour Rooms, as well as combat Café’ at Elland Road Stadium for veterans.
Combat Café | Leeds United
- Leeds City council: The council offer lots of help to the armed forces community.
Armed forces support (leeds.gov.uk)
West Yorkshire | SSAFA
- Veterans Gateway: This is a good first point of contact for any veterans seeking support. There is a huge network of organisations supporting the Armed Forces Community and so it can be hard for someone to know which one is for them. The team, work with people on one-to one basis, connecting them with the right support as soon as possible. The helpline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or there is an online chat.
Advice and support for veterans & ex-forces | Veterans’ Gateway (veteransgateway.org.uk)
- Combat Stress: are leading UK charity, dedicated to helping veterans and ex-service men and women of all ages and their families. The service offers a range of mental health support, from treatment programmes, peer support groups, substance misuse, online self-help guides and a specialist helpline.
Mental health services for veterans | Combat Stress
- NHS OP courage:
News – Working together with the NHS to provide support to Veterans & their families under Op COURAGE – Written by Amy Franklin, WWTW Director of Operations – Walking With The Wounded
- Veterans UK – Veterans Welfare Service:
Veterans UK – MindWell (mindwell-leeds.org.uk)
- Action for hearing loss:
RNID – National hearing loss charity
- Lip reading and managing hearing loss:
Lipreading Classes | Courses to Manage Your Hearing Loss | City Lit
- Mental health Support for Veterans:
Mental health support for veterans, service leavers and reservists – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- The Royal British Legion – Dementia Care:
Admiral Nurses | Dementia Homes | Royal British Legion
- Veterans’ Outreach Service:
Veterans Outreach Support | VOS (vosuk.org)
More can be found in the COBSEO directory